You can use Playback’s simulcast feature to send your Playback live stream to external platforms. Produce your stream on Playback and publish it live to other channels.
How does simulcast work on Playback?
Playback uses RTMP (Real-Time Messaging Protocol) to broadcast live Playback streams to other platforms. RTMP is a standard protocol supported by many applications, including popular live streaming platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Twitch and Twitter.
How do I add a simulcast destination?
Go to your room settings and open the simulcast section to add destinations that you want to simulcast to.
For each destination you’d like to simulcast your Playback stream to, you’ll need to enter:
- RTMP URL: This helps Playback identify which server to broadcast your stream to (e.g. for YouTube you can use rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2)
- Stream key: This is your personal private code that allows Playback to connect to the third party platform on your specific channel
Here are a few examples of where you can find RTMP credentials:
- Youtube: http://youtube.com/livestreaming
- Twitch: Find your local RTMP server at https://help.twitch.tv/s/twitch-ingest-recommendation. Find your stream key at https://dashboard.twitch.tv/settings/stream.
- Twitter: https://studio.twitter.com/producer/sources
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/live/producer
How do I start a simulcast?
Step 1: Choose destination
While you’re preparing to go live on Playback, you can choose from a saved simulcast destination or you can add new ones.
You can also start and stop simulcasts after you are live on Playback by opening the simulcast menu.
Step 2: Create a stream from the destination platform
After Playback starts sending your stream to your destinations, you will likely need to go to the destination platform to publish the live stream.
e.g. for YouTube, you will need to go to http://youtube.com/livestreaming to finish creating your live stream.
How do I end my simulcast?
You can stop simulcasting from Playback by turning off a simulcast destination from the simulcast menu or by ending your Playback event entirely. Most platforms will end your live stream automatically after they detect that the RTMP feed is no longer being received.
Will my simulcasted stream include NBA broadcasts?
No. If you are simulcasting a stream that features an NBA game, Playback will use the NBA Gamecast template to show the score and game clock without the broadcast of the game. Note: Gamecast scores and clock are only available for TNT and ESPN at this time. Coming soon to all NBA broadcast networks.
Will my simulcasted stream include YouTube videos?
No. To avoid copyright violations, we won’t show YouTube videos in your simulcast.